There are illegal scams in operation where the Clifford Chance name and/or the names of our lawyers are being abused.
The Clifford Chance name and sometimes the names of individual lawyers within our firm have been used in various fraudulent scam emails, letters and phone calls.
Fraudulent communications involving use of our name typically seek to identify a victim by suggesting that an inheritance or a job can be obtained by paying an upfront fee. Another variant is to send demands for money in relation to non-existent claims. Sometimes fake documents referring to the firm's name and/or its lawyers are sent to the victim.
Common themes include:
- inheritances from overseas or unknown relatives or individuals with the same surname as the recipient
- offers of security work/visa services related to employment in the Middle East
- nanny visa clearances
- bogus review websites
- fake barristers misusing our name regarding funds to be released from banks
- contracts purporting to be drafted by us regarding Middle Eastern business sales
- use of our US telephone numbers by fake credit consolidators
- offers of internships after payment of an 'administrative fee'
- WhatsApp messages which purport to attach an electronic contact card for one of our partners; and which invite the recipient to contact the partner to discuss a new transaction
We are not involved in these transactions.
This is not an exhaustive list of scams. New ones are being invented all the time. Please remain vigilant for your own protection. These scams aim to get your money and/or your personal data to use in other illegal activities. They may not always request money or personal details on initial contact, but will often do so after you respond.
Please note that this firm and its lawyers have no involvement in these or any other scams. In addition, please note that we do not use Gmail, Hotmail or Yahoo email addresses, nor email addresses such as email@example.com.
We recommend you delete scam emails and do not reply to scam letters. If you need to check with us whether a communication is genuine, please contact us.